Caistor St Edmund
|Caistor St Edmund|
St Edmund's church, Caistor St Edmund
|Caistor St Edmund shown within Norfolk|
|Area||6.55 km2 (2.53 sq mi)|
|• Density||44/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference||TG235039|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||East of England|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
Caistor St Edmund is a village on the River Tas, near Norwich, Norfolk, England. It covers an area of 6.55 square kilometres (2.53 sq mi) and had a population of 270 in 116 households at the 2001 census, the population increasing to 289 at the 2011 Census.
The remains of a Roman market town and capital of the Iceni tribe, Venta Icenorum, are nearby (British National Grid ref TG230034). The ruins are in the care of the Norfolk Archaeological Trust and managed by South Norfolk Council. It is assumed that the Roman 'Stone Street' runs from Dunwich on the Suffolk coast to Caistor St Edmund near Norwich. The parish church of St Edmund's lies at the south-east corner of the old Roman town. Caistor St Edmund features on the Antonine Itinerary, a Roman "road map" of the routes around Britain.
Caistor Old Hall was built in 1612 for Thomas Pettus. During the 19th century it was owned by John Spurrell (son of William Spurrell, of Thurgarton, Norfolk). The River Tas passes under Markshall bridge, just north of the Roman camp, and then flows on towards Arminghall and Trowse.
English comedic character Alan Partridge was married in the church.
- ^ "Caistor St Edmund parish information". 30 March 2009. Retrieved 20 June 2009.
- ^ "Census population and household counts for unparished urban areas and all parishes". Office for National Statistics & Norfolk County Council, 2001.[permanent dead link]
- ^ "Parish population 2011". Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- ^ Thomas Coddington (1903). "Roman Roads in Britain". Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge. Retrieved 2008-02-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Caistor St. Edmund.|